Thursday, October 21, 2010

Secularism rules!

I am so glad that the constituent assembly that wrote the Indian constitution gave us a secular republic. Yes, they did many things wrong - they should have called for a complete reconstruction of the civil services (the police for instance), should have written a uniform civil law and should have called for better structuring of affirmative action policies — but by clearly separating religion from state, they gave India, a country of myriad different religious viewpoints and identities, a stable polity to build on. Debates like this one where Pakistanis endlessly and fascinatingly debate the role of Islam in the country, just bring out in relief (pun intended) just how much Indians have benefited from a secular polity. And I say this, as a practicing Hindu.

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I'm quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next! software entwicklung berlin

    ReplyDelete